Why Ginger Root is One of The World's Superfoods
Ginger is used around the world for not
only culinary purposes (especially in Asian cuisine) but also for herbal medicinal purposes.
Ginger (Zingiber Officinale) has been used for centuries by traditional healers and herbalists including
the Chinese and ancient Greeks.
The plant is native to southeast Asia and is not cultivated in Jamaica as well as in other tropical areas.
The part of the plant that is
used for both culinary and medicinal purposes is the Rhizome -- the underground stem.
It is among the most versatile herbs in existence much like licorice in that it's used as a supplement, in
candies, soda drinks, herbal teas, and even as a topically applied cream or oil.
Ginger Health Benefits You Should Know
The ginger herb has main constituents of volatile oil up to 3% that comprises mainly zingiberone, bisabolene,
oleoresin, fats, vitamins A and B, various minerals and amino acids. The active ingredients are gingerols and
These oils provide
the following known medicinal benefits:
- Ginger root herb has long
been prized for being able to eliminate motion sickness nausea. A piece of ginger chewed is as
effective as any drug without the negative side effects so common to drugs.
- Clinical studies confirm medical ginger root actually can also help lower bad cholesterol in the blood
(LDL) as well as acting as a blood thinner.
- Helps with morning sickness for pregnant women.
- Medical ginger root has a
stimulating effect on the heart and circulation and is good for elderly who complain of cold feet or
- Ginger-root herb acts as an expectorant, eliminating or dispelling mucus and phlegm.
- Anecdotal stories assert fresh ginger root herb juice or tea if massaged into the scalp can help stimulate
hair growth, perhaps providing a natural cure for baldness.
- It aids the digestion and assimilating of food in the stomach as it promotes gastric secretion.
- It helps to ease flatulence, indigestion, and colic. Fresh grated ginger mixed with some lime juice works
well for this.
- Helps to relief chronic pain by reducing inflammation. Localized pain may be minimized also by rubbing
topically applied ginger-based oil or cream.
- Medical-ginger root is also an effective antibiotic agent as well as a strong antioxidant
- In Chinese herbal medicine, ginger root is used to induce sweating and for treating colds, flu symptoms,
As you can see, ginger is not just a culinary agent but a formidable natural herbal medicine with many much
sought after medicinal qualities making it one of the most sought after herbal medicines in the world.
Precautions & Guidelines
There are no known negative drug or nutrient interactions with ginger at this time. It is a very safe herb. The
only side effect reported in some is heartburn.
While ginger is good for morning sickness in mothers, doctors recommend not taking ginger for longer than the
first two months of pregnancy.
If you are pregnant or nursing, consult your doctor before taking any supplement, ginger included.
How To Choose A Ginger-Root Herb Supplement
As supplement fraud is so rampant, I recommend the following guidelines when choosing a ginger
supplement: When buying fresh ginger-root, make sure it is fresh by smelling it and by gently feeling around the
root for any uncharacteristic soft spots. Good ginger is firm to the touch and should be very aromatic.
When buying in supplement form, only buy ginger root supplement that is made from standardized
manufacturers deliberately don't use standardized extracts as it's expensive to do so.
Using standardized extracts
preserves the gingerols, shogaols, and compounds in the volatile oils which is where the therapeutical benefits
When used as a supplement, look for a range from 25 to 100 mg in pill or tablet form.
A Quality Product
A New Zealand company that we discovered in our research offers GMP compliant products, and meets all the above
Their multivitamin supplement product not only has medical ginger root herb standardized extracts,
but other herbal extracts as well.
This complete vitamin supplement is a scientifically formulated containing a full spectrum of vitamins,
minerals, trace and specialty minerals, and nutrient-rich enzymes.
It has been designed for optimal assimilation guaranteeing at least 80% of the tablets' potency will be
I hope this web page has been useful to you.
Yours in health,